Sunday, June 12, 2011

So dirty I was told that I looked like I was performing in "Black Face"

I have to say that I have one of the coolest committee chairs in the world. This man has loaned me his sand blaster and an air compressor. By using his air compressor and mine in tandem I am able to push enough pressure through the sand blaster to really strip off paint and rust in areas that I have a hard time getting an angle grinder to fit.

In an effort to return his equipment in a timely manner I started blasting at around 10:00am. (As a side note, I try to be polite and hold off on using equipment that is loud until 10:00am and I cut it off at 8:00pm.) I sand blast for about 15 minutes and then use the grinder for about 15 minutes. I do this in order to allow the air compressors time to cool down. My chair came by to air up his tires (because I had his compressor. This made me feel like crap for having his equipment. I would be irritated if I had to drive across town to use my own equipment, and he was far more magnanimous about the situation than I may have been.) before going on a road trip with his family.

My chair loved my set-up and my system of allowing the equipment to cool (the grinder gets hot also.) recapture the sand, and minimize the downtime between cycles. He came right as I was about to run out of sand and it was an opportune time to stop and rest a bit. Apparently the undercoating that I stripped off had stuck in my two day shadow and the silt from the sand blaster had covered every inch of my body. He told me I was dirty and I told him that I had gathered as much. When I came in at the end of the day I tool a look at myself in the mirror and I was shocked. I have been dirtier in my life, but this had to have ranked in the top 10 for sure.

So that is enough rambling from me. I know what you are here for. Here are the pictures of the tub being blasted of rust and paint. I hope to have it in the garage by the end of this weekend. By the way, it is late and I have not proofed this. Please just ignore any typos and the like.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment