Monday, May 2, 2011

So much going on.

Though it has been a while since I updated this build blog I assure you that I have been making progress bit by bit. The problem is that between the family, work, and school the going as been a bit slow.

A friend of mine helped me to remove the front and rear end from the frame, and with a lot of time and effort I sand blasted the entire frame. The frame now sits in my garage on blocks. I have taken a short section of hose, slit it along its length, and duct taped it to each side of the rear bumper. There is a good reason for this. It tried to cut through my leg! The edge of the bumper is razor sharp and put a gash in my shin that was deep and wide enough that I had to use super glue (no stitches for me thanks) to close the gash. A friend of mine also fell victim to this rogue frame.

For the most part the frame is shaping up. I have used a lot of high temperature block paint to paint the frame. It is cheap, holds up well to rock chips, and I can respray it with ease if I need to do so. I began the process of boxing in the frame and it is going well for the most part. I just wish that I did not weld like an ape with two fingers. I will admit to not leaving a space for the skid plate mount when boxing the frame in, but it is my greatest hope that I will be able to use a magnet on a telescoping pole and drop the bolts in place from a space I left open for another bolt.

My grandmother just sent me $200 as a contribution for the Jeep build (note:Friends and family, matching contributions would be nice! :-P). I should be finished with the frame soon, although the front bumper will require some heating with a torch and beating with a large hammer (BFH). Once the frame is ready I will order a transmission and transfer case rebuild kit. Once that has been rebuilt it will be time to drop the motor, transmission, and transfer case into the frame. Alas, I am getting a bit ahead of myself.

Enjoy the photos.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment