Saturday, May 7, 2011

Every man should re-build a car at some point in his life.

Yeah, you heard me. All of you sissy men out there that have looked at a rusting hulk of what was once a thing a beauty, that was crafted in America, and gave a generation or two hours of joy and years of mobility, but you shrug your shoulders and shake your head because you cannot be bothered to breath life back into that old heap.

I am really just giving the few of you that may happen to read this a hard time. I do really feel that every man should know enough about cars to turn a wrench should their car break down on the side of the road, but rebuilding an old car may just be beyond the abilities of some. Lord knows that I have picked up a trick or two during the process of rebuilding this Jeep!

Here is the deal, I spent the day working of several aspects of this project today. I had to keep bouncing from task to task because I was waiting on paint to dry, the welder to cool down, or having to preform some other random task. I did have a friend stop by and lend me a hand in flipping over the frame. This allowed me to touch up a few welds on the under side of the frame, shoot some paint at areas that had not been painted yet, repair rusted bits of the bumper, and weld in some support straps on areas of the frame that I feel have weakened over the years.

I also became sick of tripping over all manner of disassembled engine parts, so I began the process of putting the engine back together. I made sure to save the bolts from the tear down and keep them in their order so that I could replace them when the time to build came. I did get the head and oil filter casing on, but not much else. Tomorrow is a mother day and I will try to make more progress on the whole project.

Enjoy the slightly artistic photos. It is damn hard to take photos of yourself in "action" shots using a timer. You try not tripping over all the crap on the floor or the frame with a welding mask and gloves on. It is far to late to go back and proof all of this and I am dying for some sleep.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment