Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Eyesssssssssssssssss!

Here is a bit of advice. Always wear safety glasses when using a grinder. I forgot for a moment and ended up at the doctor's office. Not being able to see for a bit really put a dent in the time I could allocate to rebuilding this Jeep.

I will go on record right now and say that this project will be far more involved and costly that I had thought it would be. I have done a bit of research and it seems prudent to rebuild most everything while I have the body off. I will rebuild the transmission. I will send the head off to have it looked at. I will see what the bottom half of the motor looks like.

For anyone in the family that has driven this car and knows that it did not have brakes I would like to tell you why. The brake pedal connects directly with the master cylinder. The master cylinder holds the brake fluid, and thus causes the brakes to work. The brakes on our Jeep were not even remotely connected because the master cylinder is completely shot. In fact the e-brake was completely disconnected as well.

I did order a great rebuild manual that covers every component, and I am looking forward to loosing transmission bits. I am afraid of the brakes, and if I am honest I do not want to mess with that job. However, a Jeep needs brakes.

The Jeep was a light blue to start with, but Mike (my five year-old), who the Jeep will be passed to wants it a darker blue. To be honest the darker blue will look better. Other than that I will try to keep it as original as possible with the exception of a Warn over drive unit. If I can find a cheap over drive unit it will help the Jeep putter around town a bit better.

Here are a few more pictures of the destruction process. I would like to thank my friend John Riggs for all of this help and smart remarks during this process.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Ya gotta gaurd those twilebi, homie! I’m modding the FJ and I’m a bit overwhelmed at which direction to take and it’s a 2010! I can only imagine how you are feeling at this point but I can assure you, that every single thing that goes into your project, will bring loads of gratification. Good luck and I will check back often!

    ReplyDelete