Sunday, September 23, 2012

Back home for a few days and a bit of progress was made!


I have to admit that I find myself day dreaming of my Jeep or follow on projects while I am in Afghanistan. I went home for a few weeks of leave, and while I was not able to work on the Jeep as much as I wanted because I was having to fix things around the house, I did get a bit accomplished. I gathered up the transmission and transfer case and had them rebuilt. The shop did not order all of the parts that they needed and as a result I did not get the transmission back until after I had to go back to Afghanistan. Oh well, I will mate the motor and transmission when I come back for Christmas and bolt it to the frame. I put a quick coat of paint on the wheels. I did not put a lot of effort into the wheels because I intend to replace them at some point in the future. Next it was off the a used tire shop to get some rubber. Once I was able to put the wheels and tires on the frame I used some wheel dollies that enable me to push the Jeep closer to the wall and out of the way when I am gone, and away from the wall when I am home so that I can get to the areas I need to work on. The donor Jeep was a pretty close match to the original, but there are a few small details that are not the same. I had to cut the original bits out and weld them into place on the donor body. I also cut out a really bent up portion of the body and welded in a nice new flat sheet of metal. It all needs a lot more work, but it was really nice to get back home and push the project forward. Enjoy the photos! Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment